New: 2015 Eyes and Ears Program here
The mission of East Texas Emergency Communication Service, Inc. is to support all area law enforcement, fire, medical, and emergency management agencies with supplemental communications when normal systems fail or become inadequate.
The only requirements to join ETECS are a willingness to serve and a valid amateur radio license (and we can help you get your license if you do not already have one). The first step is to fill out an ETECS Registration. There are no dues or fees. If you have any questions, feel free to contact any of the ETECS leadership listed below.
The volunteer members of ETECS augment emergency communications for Smith County law enforcement, fire personnel, and emergency management agencies when regular communications fail or are inadequate. ETECS supports and provides the primary communications for the Smith County Chapter of the American Red Cross and participates in the National Weather Service’s SKYWARN early warning system and weather spotting. The organization operates under the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and is recognized by the Governor’s Division of Emergency Management RACES program and the American Radio Relay League’s Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES).
In recent years, the group has been involved in supporting and coordinating communications for the space shuttle recovery efforts and severe weather situations, including hurricane sheltering operations for hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
ETECS is incorporated in the State of Texas and is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
ETECS Corporate Leadership:
- John Newman, N9JN: Director
- Michael York, N5OAR, Treasurer
- Gene Coldwell, WB5CTQ: Board Member
- Gaylen Gage, KD5KIZ: Board Member
- Mark Taylor, W5MCT: Board Member
- Mark Taylor, W5MCT: Smith County EC
- John Newman, N9JN: NTX District 9 EC
- John Galvin, N5TIM: NTX Section EC
- Gaylen Gage, KD5KIZ: Smith County CLO
- Phil Clements, K5PC: District 6 DRO
- John Newman, N9JN: Region 2 RRO
- Don Simonton, K5LOW: Smith County Skywarn Coordinator